Wednesday 6 April 2011

It is well with my soul

I am having a Psalm 13 day.  Do you know what a Psalm 13 day is?  You have to read the Psalm to understand.

First we start moaning because nothing is going the way it should.  That is where I am right now.  We pray and it feels as if God is ignoring us.  We are somewhat angry at God.  Are we allowed to be angry at God?  According to the Bible we are.  That is the first few verses of Psalm 13.

Long enough, God— you've ignored me long enough.
I've looked at the back of your head long enough.
Long enough I've carried this ton of trouble, lived with a stomach full of pain.

It's impossible to feel like that and not be angry.  So David was angry when he wrote it.

And then to make sure He really understands the dilemma we are in, we point out that other people are laughing at us.  We point out the heathens that prosper, and poor us, we are battling!

Long enough my arrogant enemies have looked down their noses at me. 
Take a good look at me, God, my God; I want to look life in the eye, so no enemy can get the best of me or laugh when I fall on my face. 

But eventually, after a pity party, a little crying, lots of sulking and so on and so forth, we have to admit that God is still in control.  God will not let us down.  God will not forget about us.  God loves us.  Finally, we get to the end of the Psalm.

I've thrown myself headlong into your arms -  I'm celebrating your rescue.
I'm singing at the top of my lungs, I'm so full of answered prayers.

At the end, we can sing the hymn "It is well with my soul"! I think David is singing with us in heaven each time someone starts singing that hymn.  Surely he must understand what we are going through seeing that he wrote Psalm 13.  I can image him with his red hair and beard heartily singing with us "It is well with my soul".
 

No comments:

Post a Comment