Friday 8 April 2011

Knit one, slip one, yarn over...

The winter is here.  The cosmos flowers on the side of the road announced it last week in waves of pink, white and maroon!

The only things I like about winter are the cosmos flowers and my knitting.  And the many glasses of sherry of course!

I love knitting a jersey and I love wearing it.  It's the nicest feeling to get a compliment for a great piece of knitting and being able to say "thanks, I made it myself".  It's just as nice to see my husband walk out the door with one of my creations to ward off the cold.  It's a sense of pride and achievement I battle to find words for.

And let me tell you, I am a master knitter.  No cable is too difficult and no Aran pattern is too big a challenge.  I CAN knit!

When my kids were small, I used to knit for them too.  But I quickly stopped.  They didn't have an appreciation for the hours of knitting and thought nothing of taking my masterpiece into a sandpit or onto a jungle gym.  So they ended up with the cheap clothing from the stores.

Other than myself, my husband is the only person I would knit for.  It's many hours of dedication to create a hand knit jersey.  People are eager to wear it, but they don't like paying for that many hours of labour.  On top of that, people who pay for knitting usually don't have any idea how to do it themselves, so their requests are often ridiculous.


This winter, I might knit new socks for myself too.  I made the nicest socks a couple of years back with a lace pattern.  They are starting to wear thin.  They need replacement.  Knitting socks is an art in itself.  But it's the most luxurious socks you will ever wear - a pair you have made yourself!

I will start knitting again this weekend.  I can't wait.  I am so excited about it.  There are some wool left in my cupboard from last year and I know there are exciting new shades in my favourite wool shop.  I think I will go past there this afternoon still. 

Oh the joy of winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment