Tuesday 19 July 2011

An instrument in His hand

Lord make me an instrument
An instrument of worship
I lift my hands in Your name

Lord tune now this instrument
An instrument of worship
I lift my hands in Your name

I have played and sung this little chorus many times in my life.  It's an old chorus and well-known.  I never really realized what I was singing until yesterday.

An instrument in God's hand is not necessarily a musical instrument.  It can be anything.  Anything that will fulfill God's purpose is an instrument in His hand.  And being the instrument is seldom easy.  It's usually painful.  You see, we don't understand God's purposes.  We don't see the big picture.  We are so absorbed in our own little worlds and our comfort that it is difficult to sacrifice ourselves to be the instrument God wants.

You could be chosen today to be an anvil.  You may be taking serious blows so that God can shape another person against you.  Painful job.
You could be used as a rake today, to clean a path for another person that will take your place.
Dirty job.

I can think of many examples.  What are you today in God's hand?  Lift your hands and pray that you will become the instrument He wants you to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment