Thursday 26 January 2012

Intimacy with God

How would you feel if you were in a room full of people and they were talking about you as if you didn't exist?  Most of us would be offended at the rude behaviour of these people.

Let me give you another scenario.  You are standing in a room with a person next to you that you know well.  A person walks in that you know from the newspapers, but that you have never met.  You lean over to your friend and comment on what you have read about that person in the newspaper the previous day.

Many people worship like that.  They sing ABOUT God as if He is not in the room.  They talk about the wonderful things He does for other people without ever experiencing real intimacy first hand.

Do you know God or do you KNOW God intimately?  I want to quote a piece from a blog I wrote last year (you can read it here if you want: http://www.abroomformybrain.blogspot.com/2011/03/wedding.html)

 Listen to this scripture:
Matthew 7:21-23: Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

Has this scripture puzzled you? How could Jesus say He never 'knew' them? This word in the original Greek speaks of intimacy. With other words: "You went to church, you paid your tithes, you sang when the worship team sang, you did all the right things, you even prophesied, but you were never intimate with me".

Are you intimate with your Lord and Savior? When last have you been? When last did you really spend quality time with God? When last did you really take the time to wait on Him and hear His voice? When last?

Are you talking TO Him or ABOUT Him?

No comments:

Post a Comment